Tuesday, June 3, 2008

I have a shameful secret

I really want to see the Sex and the City movie.

I don't know why I find this piece of pop culture so compelling - after all I don't even like shoe shopping, haven't been into cocktails since the 1980s, never been with a married man and have never been one of those people who's successful at casual sex. Plus Sarah Jessica Parker makes a really odd heroine, to say the least. And yet it the TV series somehow touched a cord with me.

I don't know, something about autonomy and self-determination and friendship and maybe something about some of the issues women face in their 30s. Maybe its the chance for the length of the movie to have an alter-ego who wears fabulous couture, has a high powered career and is one of those people who is successful at casual sex.

So I've been reading up about the movie and apparently it focuses on the fact that they have all gotten older and are now in their 40s. Somehow I think I might find that kind of validating (even though I've a while to go until 40.)

Anyway, please let me know if you want to go with me because otherwise I'm going to be one of those people in the back of the theatre wearing a raincoat (except not dodgy).

In other news, all my blood tests came back in the normal range but that wasn't really a surprise because I had them done about a year ago and same deal. Still trying to work through the logistics of filling the little plastic jar at a time that Medlab will take it. Also we are thinking of taking some time off from ttc, just because it has been so emotionally draining and kind of hard on our relationship. Will wait and see how I feel about it next month.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

sex and the city if you're looking for a date - i'm in!

Kitsunegirl said...

YaY, so when are you free Miss high-powered-perm? : )

strong light said...

ooh ooh me too. I'd love to see it. How about cheap night on Tuesday?

les said...

yo, K-girl, how's it going? T and i went to SATC last weekend at the suggestion of and accompanied by a big ol' gayboy friend of mine... but we were going to go anyway. no reviews here even though you've probably seen it by now. my own reasons for wanting to go (no shame) include: i love the snappy dialogue of the tv series; cynthia nixon has a butch girlfriend (nuff said - she rocks); many girls in the audience, apres cosmos, many wearing little black dresses; my own nyc nostalgia... oh, and most importantly, i wanted to support with actual dollars the fact that there is one movie starring four women over 40. ch-ching = more of same.
ok, this is long, but on another note, i think we're going to japan next year (with my sister and her partner) and lately i've been wanting to learn another language... couldn't decide among italian, japanese and mandarin, so finally decided on japanese... rosetta stone, very fun way to learn... and i need someone with whom to converse. are you game?
hope you're well!
xo

Kitsunegirl said...

Hey Les, its been 10 years since I left Japan and I am uber-rusty. Don't think conversing with me would get you very far. Its fantastic that you are going, where abouts will you go? I recommend Kyoto.

when me and homeperm and strong light went to SATC last week it was sold out so we are trying again tomorrow.