Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Epiphany


I think I had a small epiphany last week.

I spent one day on an interview panel to recruit some new people into my team. Several of the people we interviewed appeared to have incredibly boring jobs - jobs that would make my soul shrivel away. They were eager to work in my team, they found the idea appealing.

At first I felt bad, sometimes I get so bored at work. I felt maybe I should just step aside to let these enthusiastic people do their thing. I remember something one of my friends once told me - that he was doing somebody else's dream job. And I realised that essentially I don't really believe that most of what I do makes a difference. I have the Myers Briggs personality type INFP - that means its really important to me to find meaning in my work. And therein lies the core problem. The thing is, I never get to see whether it does make a difference and I, immense cynic that I am, would have to take it on faith. Then it occurred to me that maybe, much of the time my work does not actually make a difference but it has the potential to and I have opportunity to influence whether or not it does. In small ways, its true, but I do.

This has been enough to make me feel better at work over the last few days than I have for a while.

Then this weekend I went to a dinner party with some friends from my last workplace and it made me remember how I got to where I am now in my working life. That workplace was dysfunctional and it severely knocked my confidence in my ability. At the dinner many other people discussed similar experiences. I had forgotten how significant it was. No wonder I stopped believing that I could influence or make a difference.

So now I feel a little more forgiving of myself too.

I really feel that ever since my holiday away a couple of weeks ago I have turned a corner for the better. I feel almost cheerful.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I passed through your site on a search for epiphany images--glad that I did. I, too, just escaped from a job at a dysfunctional company that made me severely doubt my worth as a human being and my talent as an artist. I thank God that I am out of there. I wish you the best in your own journey. Keep looking up. You are not alone.

Betty
betty@bettycauler.com

Consilience said...

Kitsungirl, I was also on a quest for images of epiphany. While strolling along with Google, the clouds parted. May I use your image? I'm putting together a science report which touches on an article by The Economist about epiphanies.

It will look like the majority of the posts at ConsilienceTeacher YouTube.

eric.sagunt@gmail.com

I also dream of a job change.

All the best,